Thursday, January 12, 2006

Business respite

Over dessert, my friends were bemoaning their hotel accomodations during a hectic conference. They complained of most of the usual things that travelers complain -- too small rooms, feelings of overcrowded, views of concrete and parking lots.

I smiled as I thought about the cooked to order breakfast I had nestled in the dining room of the King-Keith Guest House (www.kingkeith.com) a fascinating historic Bed and Breakfast in Atlanta, GA. I remembered the walk in the garden that I had that morning before the business of the day enveloped me.

My room is huge with a private bath and I stay in touch with my internet, provided by high speed service that comes with my room. For midnight snacks, the pantry on the first floor is loaded with all my favorites, including animal crackers, cookies, soda, even wine. Admittedly, my own kitchen pales in comparison.

Yet all the antique furnishings and beautiful garden only compliment the casual graciousness of the Innkeepers who have that ability to serve without hovering. This is a place that has that elusive quality I like to call 'soul', which nurtures more than tired airport feet and weary conference blues. This place soothes and calms to make rest and respite possible.

The home is located in historic Inman Park whose rich history mirrors that of a city bustling with activities, from the oh-so- trendy Virginia Highlands Shopping District to the beautiful new Georgia Aquarium, there is much to do and see in this southern town. Just a few blocks from here is the Jimmy Carter Library and the CNN station heralds from just beyond the convention center. I expect to see Rev. Jesse Jackson or Jon Stewart or any of the Sierra Club at any local restaurant.

I crawled onto the plane hoping that upon my return, I'd have some time to rest. Not to worry, I'll arrive home rested and refreshed, filled with the comforts of southern Atlanta.

No comments: