Saturday, December 03, 2005

Meeting John Grisham

John Grisham was in T-Town today picking up the Peggy Helmrich award which has been awarded to some of my favorite authors including Joyce Carol Oates, Margaret Atwood even Neil Simon. I had to watch him from in the alcove, my nose right in the fake evergreen decorations that lined the railing. I was hoping for a signed autograph but he was whisked away immediately following the question and answers.

I found him charming in that genteel southern way that is both enduring and protective. I was somewhat inspired by the fact that of his 18 books published 17 were published by Doubleday who originally passed on his first book, " A Time To Kill", which was rejected by a senior editor there. He said what I hear most writers say, "real writing is in the revisions" and "writing takes discipline and routine", and my personal favorite, "rejection is a part of it".

He also made a couple of statements that I found encouraging. One was, "most great writers are great readers". I think the very reason one writes is because they have been so touched by others who have written.

April 5, Sue Kidd, author of several works will be here.

No comments: