Thursday, October 20, 2005

Elizabethtown

http://www.elizabethtown.com/home.html

"Elizabethtown" hits so many points that it almost feels like two movies, hinged together.

The movie transports me back to the ruckus in my great grandmother's kitchen with goofy cousins and old men and the yearning to be a part of this chaos, this family and know that you are not and that you may never be.

The movie transports me to times when success was all that mattered and failure was non-negotiable.

The movie transports me to times when the long journey ahead offered no company, no calm, nothing but grief and the "deep melancholy of what all this means". (quote from film).

To say I liked this movie is to say I like chocolate -- which is true but not fully. I LOVED this movie..I loved the simplicity of it, the music and the way it dealt with the themes of death, failure and renewal in straightfoward ways.

What I loved most is that it resists temptation to spiral down into maudalin themes of "home folk" and the such. It doesn't offer a lot of answers because, I believe, the answers lie in the journey which we each take and with which we each see differently. "We all have different versions of him" was one of the many great one-liners that permeate the film.

I can't wait to get the soundtrack and relive it.

1 comment:

Jordan E. Rosenfeld said...

If you want to get rid of this comment spam, go turn on the feature,oh crap, what is it called, word fill or word something, where people have to spell a word to post a comment. It keeps some of it out.

I get it too.
J