Wednesday, May 25, 2005

Gardner's Journal: "rock" music

When you mention the word "garden" most people think of the plants: the flowers, the shrubs, the grasses. Most don't consider the "hardscaping" a part of the garden, but it is an essential part. In fact, it provides the structure and the design of how everything "holds" together...it is a container for what you see.

In essence, planting is only a small part of the garden and the chores of having a garden. It's the fun part and the more "glamorous" part but its not what keeps a garden looking great. The garden has to have good bones and that is hardscaping -- arbors, bridges, gazebos, fences, pathways.

We built a pergola last year and I stained it a musky gray. At first, I was unsure about the color but this year the gray is stunning and restrained against the power of all that yellow that is there. And this year, we added a new feature: a rock speaker.

I know, it sounds really corny. It may well end up in some future garage sale. But for this year, I love it.

In the mornings, I switch the cable station onto what some call "new age" music. After my run, I head to the back yard where the main garden is, and I water, weed, and listen to music.

The speaker is wireless and it creates an ethereal mood. Sometimes, with the morning light and the music, the mood in the pergola is a mystical mix of chords, light and rhythm. It is a beautiful place to think, to ponder, to pray.

In the evenings, we find ourselves drawn again to that space where the long shadows of evening begin to reach their fingers across us. When it's hot, we hook the hose up to the "mist maker" that we've tacked around the upper beams and enjoy a cool mist.

Sometimes, though, I have to turn the station to the "rock" station so I can hear Eric Clapton, Aerosmith, Foreigner and other great classic rock songs of my youth. My kids look at me in disbelief when I hear "Freebird" come on and have to get up and play my air guitar. "This, " I say, "This is WHAT I'm talkin' about!" is what I say when "Stairway to Heaven" comes on.

That's OK. Everyone needs stories about their crazy parents to tell their friends.

No comments: