Saturday, November 27, 2004

Winter Garden Tour

Browns and greys dominate the garden this time year, except for a firestorm of color from the burning bush. Along with the swollen reds from rose hips and a few stubborn heritage rosesthe garden gives the appearance of being dead.

But I like this time of year because it allows me to see the lines of the garden that are normally his among brush and leaves. It allows me to plan and to dream about what can be created next year. Already my mind is working on ideas for lengthening this bed and enlarging that bed. Although the chaos of color is now sleeping for next year's party, the garden is awake with possibilities.

There are always plants that I want to move or even get rid of altogether. I don't have much patience for high-maintainance plants and if they don't perform the first year, then usually out they go.

I poured some pecan hulls around some perennials today and will clean out fountains this week so that they can be ready to go in the spring. All supplies, tools are being rounded up from their various hiding spots (did I really put the shovel there?) to be cleaned and put away.

The big project still remains the giant gaping hole that started to be a pond but became, instead, a family swimming pool. Only, we haven't begun the pool yet. Last year it rained every week and neighbors who started pools didn't get them completed until late in the fall. So, we hope to start on ours in the wet spring with hopes of having a pool by Memorial day. This has been a long awaited project for our family. I want to have it so the kids can have parties there with their older friends.

We've cleaned out the garage, too, and Nathan has decided he wants to try an e-bay business and is getting some things cleaned up, photographed and put on the computer for extra money. I'm really proud of him for this idea...sure beats flipping burgers or some other part time job. He has an eye for style so this might be a great outlet for him. If I start noticing dinnerware and other family heirlooms missing, I might re-think this.

Ellen and I finished our decorating, with Ellen firmly in the lead. She has more passion for decorating this time of year, but once she gets me going, I'm in completely. She loves the season and I am enjoying making new memories with her and I decorating the trees together. She is such a gift, I am so fortunate to have her.

Tonight, Dan and I have our own little party planned with a show with Colin Mocherie and Brad Sherwood, two comics that we love watching. We're going to dinner just the two of us, where he will make goo goo eyes at the steak and be in hog heaven.

No comments: